What do you wish you had known on Day 1?
How to do it:
- Ask a question in your digital channel: “Think back to your first day at this company: what’s a helpful tip you wish you had known then that with experience you know now?”
- Be the first to post with your insights – show how it’s done!
- Encourage interaction as the team responds – lead the way with follow-up questions, comments and reactions.
- Bonus: document the best of this built-up knowledge and add it to your new hire training materials!
Why it works:
- This conversation is a great way to promote empathy and gather helpful knowledge for new and existing employees.
- Asking for these ideas also reinforces psychological safety – that notion that it’s OK to share your view without being judged or criticized.
- Employees spend 20% of their time tracking down internal information and insights from their colleagues – let’s make it easier for everyone!